Don't feel like reading? Listen instead!
To create authority content that is relevant for 2020 and years beyond, you must perform proper and detailed research. It is essential to start with research from authoritative sources. You must include updated, correct facts and statistics in your content.
The more that you as the writer understand about “What is SEO writing?”, the more prepared you are to write top-quality content. Google and other major search engines favour short, concise sentences and paragraphs. Limit your use of adverbs. Adjectives and all descriptive text should be kept to a minimum.
Remember, in today’s busy lifestyles, everyone needs to skim or read through articles, blog posts and web page content quickly. You can capture the reader’s full attention by producing engaging, compelling text that sells products, services and website memberships. Keep headings and subheadings short and engaging.
Using a pyramid style for your content outline, present the most important facts and ideas first. The remainder of your text can explain different aspects of your topic in greater detail. Just remember to write clearly without using an excess of words.
Especially since many people currently read web content and published articles on mobile devices, responsive website design now rules. When you write concise, easy-to-read content, your text can be accessed and read on all digital devices and screen sizes. You will also provide your client with highly valuable written content for increased website sales conversions.
Performing Effective Research
All of the research that you do for a writing project will also help fulfil the hyperlink requirements. When you use high quality, authority websites for researching your topic, they become ideal links to include in your content. Remember to use only primary sources of information to research the topic. This rule is one of the standards of, “What is SEO writing?” These verified and respected sources of information include the following types of sites:
- Government Sites (.gov). Choose official government websites that provide research results on the topic.
- Education Sites (.edu). Get data from college and university websites that publish results of research studies on the topic.
- “Big Data” Websites. These websites are created for the purpose of providing accurate statistics, graphs and other types of data concerning a specific subject.
- Studies & Clinical Trials. Data and results from clinical studies, case studies and other types of verified research can be found on these sites. They may be the official websites of academic journals or company publications that include reports and white papers.
- Authoritative Websites. These sites provide verified information on your topic that will not create any conflicts of interest. They are good websites for your research since they are owned and operated by valid companies and organizations that are not competitors of our client.
- Recent News. Most of our research for written content is timeless and remains relevant regardless of when you read it. Yet current news content can help with your research. You can perform a search for your topic by visiting Google News. News articles that your search returns may include links to primary sources for locating more information on your topic.
Google Tools for Locating Authority Resources
Google provides innovative tools for finding our most relevant resources quickly and easily. We can examine how this process works for us using the topic of “energy boosting supplements” as an example:
- Google Search on .Gov and .Edu Sites. You can locate valid information concerning this topic on websites with .gov and .edu URLs on Google.com. On Google, use the “site:” operator to search “energy boosting supplements” site:.gov and “energy boosting supplements” site:.edu. This will narrow your search to these two types of authority websites. If you change your search terms somewhat, you can obtain varied results to enhance your research.
- Google Search on Big Data Sites. To locate verified resources on Google, perform searches with such terms as “energy boosting supplements” + data, “energy boosting supplements” + statistics or “energy boosting supplements” + stats. Before obtaining source material from these sites, ensure that they are primary sources for this data. If not, they most likely link to the website of the primary source.
- Google Search for Studies and Clinical Trials. You can search on Google to find sites giving the results of clinical trials and case studies concerning your topic. You can obtain good sources by entering “energy boosting supplements” + study, + case study, + clinical study, + white paper or + research. Since many of these studies are lengthy, you can skim through them or read the study abstract to obtain your information.
- Searching Google for Authoritative, Non-Competing Websites. Initial searches for these sites does not usually return primary source websites. Yet by visiting these sites, you will most likely find that they are linked to primary sources. Just using the search term “energy boosting supplements” should bring good results.
- Searching Google for Recent News Sources. Although our type of content rarely relates directly to timely news coverage, current news stories often link to primary sources. By using your search term of “energy boosting supplements,” you can search Google for relevant news stories. Primary source links in these articles can help improve your SEO copywriting.
Creating Engaging and Informative Content
Product or Service Reviews
This variety of content often requires inputting text on set company templates or boilerplate style pages. It usually calls for either brief or detailed service and product descriptions. Additional static textual content for a brand or business site may be requested. In some instances, relevant charts and graphs or photos and other media can help engagement. These elements will also enhance your SEO copywriting. Engagement and using custom images is everything – using tools like Graphically.io (shameless plug) can make this process super easy!
Content Titles and Topics
The client briefing for a writing project includes either a general topic for every article or the exact titles. This section also often lists the word count desired by the client for each article in the project. (Example: 1000-words each). Clients want articles with eye-catching headlines that attract wide audience interest. They look for titles that compel potential customers or site members to take time to read this content.
For this reason, it is your task as the writer to generate enticing titles that capture new volumes of readers. There are many online articles by experts with valuable tips about writing catchy blog titles and headlines.
Setting Content Word Count
Unless they must fill a specific space on a web page or standard form, most clients can reconsider content length. Most agree that producing high-quality written content has more value than conforming to producing a certain number of words. You can also perform a web search to determine what the client company’s main competitors are using for word count. Check their general site content sections and any blog posts for the length of textual content. Then strive to create more clear, concise and informative content.
Selecting the Most Effective Keywords
As you may know, there are two kinds of keywords. These are the main or primary keyword and the secondary keywords. The main keyword consists of a single keyword or key phrase that is the major focus of the article topic. Secondary keywords are multiple key terms or phrases that are not the main topic, but have strong relevance to this topic. One of the basic essentials of how to write for SEO results is using effective keywords.
Include the main keyword in your article headline and from three to five times throughout the article content. Use secondary key terms once each in the content. They can also be used skillfully in article subheadings. This reveals that you know how to write copy that sells.
Creating the Tone and Angle for Your Content
Your written content should assume the tone of a friendly expert on the topic of your project. You should address your readers directly as though you are engaged in a real-time conversation with them. Although friendly and relaxed in tone, your cornerstone content should offer an abundance of valuable information. Each article is to be written from a second-person viewpoint. Address the reader as “you,” and refer to our site using “we” “our” and “us.”
Choosing Hyperlinks for Your Article
Informational content should contain at least three hyperlinks per article. Reviews do not have any requirements for hyperlinking. However, you can link to the company page and/or to the product being reviewed, if you like. Website content should contain internal links to other pages of the same site. Your hyperlinks must use anchor text and be placed in your article content.
You can choose to anchor one word or an entire phrase. This anchor text must clearly indicate the type of content that the reader can access by clinking the link. As discussed in our section entitled “Research” above, you are to link only to primary data sources for quality SEO articles.
When you make a claim or share an item of information, it is essential to link to the primary source. No matter how brilliant your writing skills may be, your article must link to the primary source to gain acceptance.
Following Formatting Rules
Divide the body of your text into subsections. Each of these subsections should have its own appropriate subheading as a Heading 2 (H2) header. If you sub-divide these subsections, you need to use sub-subheadings for this content. Use Heading 3 (H3) headers for sub-subheadings. Be sure to omit any fluff or filler language in your content. This explanation of how to avoid the use of fluff and filler writing may be helpful to you.
If suitable for your content, include a bullet list at some point within the text. Each bulleted item should contain a short phrase or one sentence. If the text for your bullet points is the length of a paragraph of longer, you should change the bullets to subheadings. The only time you should indent your content is when using the auto-indent function for creating a bullet list.
Refrain from using numbered lists and always use Arial font, size 11 or Calibri font, size 11. Be sure to select justified alignment for your text. Leave one line space only between paragraphs, subheadings, lists or quoted material. Take care to remove any extra line spacing before submitting your writing project for approval. Using correct line space is a good SEO content writing strategy for reader clarity.
Use a Short and Sweet Writing Style
Our own testing and the studies of others have revealed that clear, short and concise sentences and paragraphs are best. Cornerstone content presented in this manner supports easy reading, comprehension and absorption by the reader.
The current reading skills of the majority of Americans is between a 6th and 8th grade level. For this reason, the use of a short and sweet writing style will result in higher readership for your content.
Website content that is simple and easy to read encourages visitors to stay longer on a site. They are more likely to examine all pages of a website, learning about a brand’s featured products and services. These visitors may become new customers and eventually, loyal clients for a company site. They can increase sales conversion rates as well as the client base for this company.
The Hemingway Editor is also of great help in developing a shorter, more concise writing style with excellent clarity.
Clear, Concise Sentences
We want each sentence of written content to focus directly on a hyper-specific thought. We have found through testing that extended sentences using commas, colons and semicolons can confuse or mislead a reader. This confusion may compel the reader to exit the website without reading further. The ideal sentence will exclude any punctuation that extends its content beyond one specific stated thought. Our intent is simply to prevent the use of long, confusing run-on sentences. We are not attempting to ban punctuation that extends a sentence when helpful. We just want to limit its use.
Paragraphs Focused on a Single Point
As with sentences, we need paragraphs that concentrate on one idea. This idea is introduced in the first sentence and clearly explained in the remaining sentences of the paragraph. This practice is a good SEO content writing strategy. Each paragraph should be limited in length to four visual lines. This does not mean four sentences. A paragraph with four visual lines is composed of four lines of text on your computer screen. Four visual lines of text are equal to about two or three sentences or approximately 50 to 60 words.